McGowan, Pacific County, Washington

Founded upon one of the campsites used by Lewis & Clark, McGowan was originally a 'mission grant' to Father Lionnet. Patrick McGowan bought the grant and then filed a 'Donation Land Claim' just west of Chenookville.

McGowan established the first salmon packing company in the state of Washington. As the settlement and business grew, the locals called it McGowan in his honor.

Once established, the post office apparently issued several cancelers, Spellings used are: MC GOWAN and McGOWAN. The McGOWAN is seen used in 1906 and again on the last day. but the size and positioning of the letters of the name are quite different. The MC GOWAN was used in 1913.

The church built in 1904 by the McGowans, St. Mary's Catholic Church, still stands on the townsite.

For census purposes, McGowan was in the Nasel [Naselles] Precinct.

McGowan

Established:March 7, 1901 
First Postmaster:Edmond Noonan
Change:
Disposition:Restyled MC GOWAN

Mc Gowan

Established: 
First Postmaster:Henry McGowan
Change:
Disposition:Back to McGOWAN

McGowan

Established: 
First Postmaster:Henry McGowan
Change:April 15, 1939
Disposition:Served from Chinook

 

Postcards From This Office:


Reminder - Sender hasn't heard from friend
Mailed on Halloween, October 31, 1910
 

Easter Greetings
Mailed on April 8, 1912
 

Registered Receipt, Mailed October 30, 1913
Spelled MC GOWAN, - Signed by postmaster as agent for brother.

Wife inquiring about husband returning from Astoria
Mailed June 12, 1914 - MC GOWAN format.

Last Day of Service
Back to first style of McGOWAN

 

21st June, 2012