In building the NPRR line to South Bend, the railroad had planned to call this area Preston. This was in honor of Lindley Preston , a resident of the area who kept an unofficial post office. As there was another 'Preston' in Washington, the post office rejected this proposal and called it Menlo.
This name came from a sign that John Brophy had erected to advertise the platting of his donation land claim. The sign had been moved so much, that only the first half of his proposed 'Menlo Park' was left and thus selected by the post office.
The Pacific County Fairhas been held here each August for over 80 years.
|Established:||September 5, 1894|
|First Postmaster:||Theodore Myers|
|Replacement - Note|
|the much wider letters, plus|
|addition of the Time.|
|seen: May 31, 1906 on|
Comic, Mailed on May 31, 1906
Mailed on September 4, 1908
Mailed on January 20, 1910