Fort Willapa was a stockade built south of the Willapa River to protect the residents of the area from fears of Indian attacks, and is now known as Giesey's crossing. A post office was established and served for 12 years, then moved across the river to Woodard's Landing. The post office mis-spelled the name as "Woodward Landing", though this was corrected about three years later.
Woodards Landing was a donation land claim taken by Samuel Woodard at the junction the Willapa and Wilson Creek. It served the area at the farthest inland point of the navigable Willapa River. A few years after Samuel left the area, his son and daughter-in-law platted "Woodard's Town of Willapa".
As part of the platting in 1884, though the plat was only recorded 8 months later, the post office changed its name to Willapa. A busy location with three steamers arriving each week, there were two warehouses, three hotels, doctors, stores, a school, a newspaper and several saloons. Over 5 years later, the Willapa Methodist Church was built. This is the oldest church still in use in Pacific County.
At some time after 1890 the post office was renamed to Willapa City. Whether it continued as such until the relocation in 1915 is as yet unknown. Dates seen for this variant are from SP 10 1892 to JA 06 1894.
Construction of the NPRR from Chehalis brought the boom to an end as McEwing demanded too much for his land as part of the railroad's right of way. The NPRR built south of the Willapa and by 1900 most residents had moved to South Bend or East Raymond. In 1915, the CM&SP railroad built a depot in East Raymond and the Willapa post office moved near that location, but retained the Willapa naming.
|Established:||April 29, 1858|
|First Postmaster:||John Geisy|
|Change:||December 7, 1870|
|Disposition:||Moved to Woodards Landing|
|Established:||December 7, 1870|
|First Postmaster:||Hannah Whitcomb|
|Change:||July 21, 1874|
|Disposition:||Corrected to Woodards Landing|
|Established:||July 21, 1874|
|First Postmaster:||Edwin Soule|
|Change:||April 24, 1884|
|Disposition:||Renamed to Willapa|
|Established:||April 24, 1884|
|First Postmaster:||John Drissler|
|Disposition:||Moved to East Raymond|
|First Postmaster:||Lenore Hatchard|
|Change:||April 30, 1954|
|Disposition:||Served from Raymond|
Mailed on December 27, 1918